A Little Peek Into Our Lives...



Saturday, July 13, 2013

Things I Ponder When I'm Home Alone

Chad and all three girls have been gone most of the day.  Yes, this is a rare occurrence for me to be home alone.  I've enjoyed every minute of it.  I dedicated the first couple of hours to a nap!  Then I decided that if I was  a "good girl" and did productive things that maybe I would get rewarded with another day alone sooner rather than later.

I started with the garbage.  As I was walking around the house picking up the garbage from the various cans as well as the random pieces lying in the floor, under the edge of a piece of furniture, and on the counter, I noticed (not for the first time) that we are "trashy" people.  We aren't dirty people.  In general, our home is what most would consider "neat enough".  I think that requires us to use the trashcans often.  That use causes us to have a large amount of trash.  And, as many things as I love about this house, the fact that the "designer" (Joe Akin) didn't include a nice, cubbyhole place for a trashcan really bothers me.  We now have a small kitchen trashcan under the kitchen sink.  For many people that might work wonderfully.  However, when the can gets close to full, I have developed the habit of removing the bag and placing it in the kitchen floor.  I hate to "waste" the bag by not filling it to capacity, but if I leave it under the sink, the trash always winds up in the cabinet under the sink instead of in the bag.  I know this is a serious problem in the real world, right?

So, while I was enjoying the peace and quiet and could actually think without the "Mamma!" and "Taylor kick my lip!" I had a brilliant idea.  In general, we as a family make decisions for the "benefit of the most".  For example, I wanted a Corvette.  However, it only had two seats so I opted for the Camry instead.  It could comfortably seat all of our family members--benefit of the most.  Or on our recent trip to Corpus Christi, I could have spent another day just lying at the beach with a good book.  However, the kids really wanted to go see the U.S.S. Lexington and the Texas State Aquarium.  My natural thought process was, as a whole, we would all get to see/do/touch something that was new and exciting at the aquarium and aircraft carrier museum.  On the beach, they would be satisfied, but not excited.  So, once again--benefit of the most.

Back to the trash issue.  I was looking around the kitchen trying to figure out a solution for this trash problem.  It was almost an audible voice (surely it was God!) that spoke and said, "benefit of the most".  I had a plan.  Chad and I are the only ones who use the oven.  Mostly me, but he does cook breakfast on the weekends.  Kennedy, Taylor and Blake are never allowed to use the oven without supervision.  So, what if we have the oven taken out and replace it with a trash compactor?  It's so obvious!  I'm willing to sacrifice my oven so that all five of us can have something that will obviously benefit the most!

Chad and the girls just drove up!  Can't wait to share this brilliance.  I'll let you know how it goes over with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment