A Little Peek Into Our Lives...



Friday, May 13, 2016

Day Two of the Medical Miracle

I finally got to a room on the sixth floor of ETMC in Tyler at about 4AM. I don't recall anything that morning. I'm fairly sure I slept a lot. About 11:30 Dr. David Young came in to see me. Chad was not back from his parents' house yet. 

I only remember bits and pieces of the conversation. However, I do remember Dr. Young saying that he had personally reviewed my CT Scan. In his words, 'There is definitely free air in your abdomen that should not be there. There is definitely fluid in your abdomen that should not be there. I know they told you that we should wait and see. However, after looking over your case this morning, we are taking you back to surgery.'  I remember asking him when. He said very soon...before 2:00. I remember explaining that my husband and parents weren't even there at the hospital. He assured me that I would have time to speak with them and see them (depending on how long it took them to get there). After several questions, Dr. Young reminded me that I could refuse the surgery, but it was a life threatening situation.  He explained that he would open my abdomen with a large incision, find the damage, make the necessary repairs, and clean out any toxins or infection that he found. He also explained that I would wake up with an NG tube and central line in my jugular and that I should expect to be in the hospital for a week. 

Dr. Young left the room and I stared into space for a few minutes trying to wrap my brain around the fact that I had a perforated intestine and needed a huge, invasive surgery to fix it. 

As I gathered my thoughts and picked up the phone to call Chad, he walked in the door. All I remember saying to him is 'Dr. Young just left. It's bad. You need to talk to him now.'  He went to the nurses station and they located Dr. Young who kindly came back and explained the situation to us again. I honestly don't know the exact time frame, but in my mind they took me downstairs to prep for surgery within 20 minutes of Dr. Young leaving the second time. 

Chad called my mom and texted our Sunday School teacher. I vaguely remember seeing Tim Turlington before surgery and telling him I was in shock. I remember seeing Melissa Burton before surgery. I remember several people telling me that I was in the best hands as far as surgeons. Fortunately, I was familiar with Dr. Young. He was the surgeon I had back in November. However, I do not recall being scared to death and crying. But witnesses to the situation say I definitely wasn't the calm, cool, collected Shannon who giggled when rolling into surgery in November to the song 'Better Off in a Pine Box'. 

I have no idea how long the surgery lasted. I remember seeing my older brother, Keith, his wife, Stacey, mom and Chad in the hallway after surgery.  After that, I have no additional Friday memories. But I do have these gems.
Apparently I kept my sense of humor and gave him 'the bird' at some point as well.
 I later learned that Frances was there too. She says I acknowledged her presence before going back to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment