A Little Peek Into Our Lives...



Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Eats and Drinks in Haiti

I've been pondering how to share this trip.  Each evening, the girls and I would sit and discuss the things we saw, tasted, felt, and experienced during the day.  As I've looked through the pictures, I find so many stories to tell.  My original plan was to share one day at a time.  However I feel like I need to share the "things that were different" so that I can later share the experiences that have changed me.

I'm not a "foodie".  I'm that person who can go to NYC and eat at McDonalds or Subway three meals a day and not feel like it was a crime.  I am not an adventurous eater either.  I will try most things, but I don't love most things.  For example, I don't enjoy seafood, and I can only read two things on the Olive Garden menu: fettuccine Alfredo and lasagna.  My palate is content with Diet Coke and peanut butter.  I was traveling with Kayla who had very strict rules about food.  She says you can't eat anything that you could get in Henderson, Texas.  And guys, she ENJOYS food.  She enjoys all kinds of foods!  It was so exciting to experience foods and drinks with Kayla's enthusiasm.


Here are some of the highlights of our eats and drinks in Haiti!!


Plantains--fried and salted like a potato chip

 We decided they are like a banana and potato cross that is salted and fried like a potato chip.

Goat

The goat was amazing.  I didn't order it, but Holly shared so we could taste it.  Next trip I will be bold and order the goat.



BBQ Chicken
 The BBQ chicken was very similar to the American version.  The fried potatoes were an unusual pairing.  The salad looked amazing but we were advised to stay away from uncooked vegetables.

Mashed and fried plantains
Mashed and fried version of the plantain.  They were "packy" but decent.  I preferred the strips of salted and fried like chips.

Legume--maybe it's not spelled correctly

This dish was one of the spicier things we ate.  It was plain rice with a vegetable "stew" like mixture on top.  It was good, but not one of my favorite.

Rice and beans
Rice and beans and then beans and rice.  It was delicious.  Occasionally we would find an orange vegetable.  After much discussion and days of eating this dish, we realized some were carrots and some were potatoes that had absorbed the seasonings.  Regardless, it was fabulous!



Hatian Spaghetti

Buttery sauce with chicken served over pasta.  It was very different than our spaghetti, but it was good.




"American burritos" and bananas

Ahhh...by Friday I was excited to see a tortilla and cheese!  The banana was just bonus.

Very rare Diet Coke



Watermelon soda
Kayla talked about this watermelon soda all week.  She bought it the first day and looked for them all week.  Finally, Saturday night she found more and bought a six pack so we could all experience her joy.

Carosoul
It looked like an over-ripened pineapple.  It had a mushy texture.  It was not terrible, but definitely not a favorite.  The Haitian people told us their dogs won't even eat it. 
Fresh Coconut
Very refreshing fresh coconut that is often "hulled" by a young kid with a machete.

Kenip
These little things were good.  There's a large seed inside.  There's not much fruit to eat but the flavor was refreshing.  Someone on our trip has previously debated smuggling in seeds to try to grow them locally.  Rest assured, she's honest to a fault and didn't do it.

beans and rice and fried chicken
And Saturday night we had American pizza.  Apparently I was so exhausted and excited to eat that I failed to take a picture.  Use your imagination.  It looked exactly like our pizza here.

No comments:

Post a Comment