A Little Peek Into Our Lives...



Friday, July 10, 2015

Day One of Road Trip 2015


So the girls and I got on the road about 8am Friday morning leaving home.  We were headed to Longview to see Uncle Keith and then north through Arkansas to Memphis. Shortly after we left home, we got word that Keith was headed for testing that could take hours so we just headed out on our trip. 

Things were tight with four females packed for a week or longer in a Toyota Camry. However, we were all smiles at the end of our driveway!


We talked to Mom and Dad on our way to Arkansas (they were already in Arkadelphia).  Due to Keith's Heath concerns, they were headed back home. We decided to continue on and return if needed.  

I began to mentally assess the fact that we were going to be homeless if Mom and Dad weren't heading on to Memphis as planned. Thanks to my time at Lyon College, I texted my friend Kami (from Tennessee) to inquire about the safety of places beyond Memphis. She first offered her parents house, and then sent me the name and address for an adequate hotel along the way. It was so comforting to know someone with actual knowledge of the area instead of randomly stoping along the interstate with only myself and my three girls. I learned a lot of 'stuff' and Lyon College, however, I also made a lot of lifelong friends like Kami. 

We continued driving. Kennedy enjoyed reading the map and asking questions about Arkansas towns. Taylor had her loom and bored herself to death, I guess?  Kennedy snapped this picture. 


Blake had her Doc McStuffins doll and some crayons on her side. Apparently, she was tired as well. This was the other side of the car from Taylor. 


The girls and I talked with Keith a couple of times. Within an hour, he talked to Mom and Dad and encouraged them to continue on their trip. Therefore, they agreed, and just as quickly, we were no longer going to be homeless. Knowing Mom and Dad were ahead of us and headed North again, we were 'chasing' them. 

Again, they received information from home and decided they should turn back.  Initial results from the morning tests were back, and there were some possible concerns. It began to be comical.  Within about two hours, we were told 

1) they are headed home 
2) Keith wants them to continue so they will 
3) they are headed home. 

The phone would ring and the girls would ask, 'Are Mimi and Pops still going or are they going home?'

 About noon we stopped to eat at 'Chicken Lay'. We had been in the car for almost four hours. I can honestly said I had not had to correct any behaviors or referee any fights the entire trip. We get like it was a milestone and wanted to document the success with a picture.
While eating, I texted my friend Vickey to see if she was at work. I had decided we may stay in Little Rick for the night instead of head over to Tennessee due to my unfamiliarity with the areas of East Tennessee. Vickey had taken the day off, and was at home about 30 miles from where we were sitting.  So after a couple of texts, this happened. 


We made the decision to spend the night with Vickey's family. Our kids ask about each other periodicaly after spending time together for the last several years. My girls were so excited to see Aaron and Lilly and Mrs. Vickey. I was excited to meet her husband who I have heard about for the last few years. 

 About 10 minutes into our drive toward Vickey's  house, Mom and Dad called again. They said that Keith was being discharged, and that they were turning around and continuing the trip. At that point, I just laughed. In case you lost count, this is 

4) they are going to Memphis.

 I explained that we had arrangements to meet Vickey, and we we would meet them in Nashville on Saturday afternoon. 

We thoroughly enjoyed our impromptu visit with Vickey and her family.  The girls swam, the moms chatted, and we all laughed.  Twice in one ridiculously crazy day, a lifelong friend from Lyon College came to my rescue!  Almost 20 years ago when I headed to Arkansas for college, I never imagined that the people I met would be such a significant part of my life today. 

Saturday morning, the girls and I are headed to Nashville for the weekend. Tag along and see how this adventure unfolds!

Please excuse the formatting and spelling. This is all on my phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment