A Little Peek Into Our Lives...



Friday, July 9, 2010

Do you want a fork or a spoon?

Bet you're already wondering what the heck that could possibly mean! This is classic. Classic what, I'm really not sure. But, it sounds like a great lead into a story!

After the wedding and the honeymoon, life began for the Dickerson Duo. Both of us worked in Tyler for the first two and a half months of our marriage. Like love-struck newlyweds, we rode to work together, met for lunch, rode home together, and spent every waking moment "in love" with each other. Let me stop here and let you in on a conversation between my mother and myself when I was much, much younger.

Mom: Shannon, come in here and help me cook dinner. One day you're going to want to know how to cook.

Me: No thanks! I'm going to be a rich doctor and pay someone to cook for me!

Mom: I'm sure you are going to be a rich doctor, but you still might want to cook.

Me: Nah, I can read. That's all you have to do to be able to cook, right? It's like a lab experiment.

Mom: Okay, maybe next time.


I'm sure some of you already know where this is going, but you're wrong. I did not mess up a meal...well, not that I'm telling you about now. I was smarter than that! I knew I couldn't cook. So, what does a young bride do when she has cooked both meals that she knows how, has gone to every restaurant in Henderson multiple times, and is trying to avoid another sandwich? Well, this nifty lady decided to provide her precious husband with Ravioli right from the chef...you know the one in the can from the grocery store by the last name Boyardee.


So, being the conscientious wife that I was, I asked Chad if he ate his ravioli in a bowl or on a plate. He very nicely responded, "it doesn't matter". I asked again only to get the same answer. So, I went with my preference--in a bowl. Still trying to measure up to his expectations, I asked him yet another question, "do you want a fork or a spoon?" to which Mr.Communication replied, "it doesn't matter". At this point, I began to get a little irritated with him because I wanted it to be like he was used to. I mean surely he had eaten ravioli before, right? So, our "first fight" ended with huge smiles and Chad eating ravioli from a bowl with a fork and a spoon!

1 comment:

  1. Awww....how deprived our men were growing up not knowing the Chef and that you can't spell much when you only have O's in your BOWL! Ha! (Of course my mom worked later so I had to do a lot of the cooking...oh how I miss 'Roller Coasters'!) Thanks for the story & bringing back some of my own memories!

    Keep this going, girl! LOVE it, LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete